Wednesday, October 2, 2019

A Year in My Life - Kitchen Project - Part 1

Apologies for the delay in posting my monthly blog.  I took a three week trip to the states that started at the end of August so was fully engaged in having fun and did not post an August update.  So two for the price of one this month.  August and September combined.  

I promised an update on my kitchen project.  The actual construction started Monday!!!  The “plan” is for the work to take no more than 2 months.  However, considering this is Italy I will not be shocked if it takes longer.  But I must confess I believe the plan and the vendors I am working with will deliver as promised and my kitchen will be done in 2 months. 

I know I have mentioned this project in past blogs but I hope to post more frequently and in more detail as the project progresses.  Plus I will add pictures of the work.   I hope you will enjoy following along.  I will bring in the “Italian” element as much as possible but for those that follow my blog for “travel” and “lifestyle” stories - my apologies as I use this format to keep my friends and family updated on this project over the next month or two.

I mentioned earlier that I am working with an architect and as I mentioned previously - they don’t necessarily do everything for you.  I had to source and buy my appliances on my own.  Once selected I made sure the architect “approved” them - for size etc.  In addition I am having custom tile made in Vietri Sul Mare, a town on the Amalfi coast that is famous for ceramic tile, so that again was my responsibility.  I’m sure he would have handled it if I was picking standard tile from a store.  Also I am buying custom pendent lights from Venice - Murano glass. So we are working together on that as I found the store/factory when in Venice for Carnevale.  I also had to find and select the kitchen furniture or as we call it the cabinets.

So the architect creates the design, then you work with the furniture store and they fit the furniture to the design, making minor adjustments based on cabinet sizes, shapes, etc.  In my case we came pretty close to what the architect designed with just a few minor modifications.  

I supposed in most cases the furniture store would complete the original design but since I was doing some major construction along with the new furniture the architect created the design first.  Now a shout out to my life-long friend, Linda Shedd.  She really did the original design concept.  She is a designer with a commercial firm in Seattle.  So secretly she is coaching me from the shadows.  He artist's eye is wonderful and she has warned me of things to pay attention to. I am blessed to have her in my life and have her "hands" on this project.   

I do have a great team on the project. Center of course, is my cousin Antonio, the carpenter.  He will be installing the furniture/cabinetry.  But as in most things I do, he is always behind me, coaching and assisting when needed.  In addition all the demolition, main construction and tile work will be done by my cousin’s, son-in-law.  He and his team did my new terrace last year.  The architect will, however act as the project manager.  He ultimately has responsibility for the finished product.   

The demolition took one day.  Not much to tear apart.  The current kitchen furniture was prefab so pulled out quite easily and I’m happy to say it will be reused so not going to the dump - or wherever they take construction debris.  

Then the tile was removed from the walls and the wall where an island will go was demolished in half.  I can see what my view will be from the kitchen - and I like it!!!

Some photos to follow along.

An empty living room - I moved out
so construction can move along freely

The empty kitchen

The other end of the kitchen


Plastic over the hallway that leads to
the bedroom, studio and bathroom.
Hoping everything stays as clean as possible


The kitchen door removed 
and will be reused by cousin Antonio

Demolition of the kitchen starts


The kitchen cabinet/sink/stove/oven
were prefab so came out in one piece
Makes for quick demolition

The wall now opened up
They will now build an island


This will be my view from the kitchen

All the old tile has now been removed
Great progress on day 1


No comments:

Post a Comment